The Der Hexenkreis chapter of Mortar Board would like to invite Cornell students of Junior standing (third-year of four-year programs or fourth-year of five-year programs) to apply for the 129th Tapping Class. Prospective members must apply in order to be considered. Applications are open Wednesday, January 29th, 2020 through Friday, February 28th, 2020.
An application is not considered complete until all of the following materials are submitted:
- The online application, which can be accessed at this link or at the bottom of this page.
- A current resume, submitted to email@example.com with your last and first name in the subject line.
- (Optional) A letter of recommendation from a Cornell Staff or Faculty member, submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with the recommended student’s last and first name listed in the subject line. Letters of recommendation are strongly encouraged, but not required. Strong letters of recommendation can help an application, but applicants who submit applications without letters of recommendation will not be penalized.
- I’m studying abroad (or at a domestic Cornell program away from the Ithaca campus) this semester, Spring 2020. Will that affect my application? No.
- Can I ask a summer employer to submit the letter of recommendation? Because we are primarily interested in your contributions to our campus, we require that the letter of recommendation comes from a Cornell University faculty or staff member.
- What if the Faculty or Staff member I had in mind has since left the University? Generally, we require your recommender to have an active NetID. However, we will evaluate situations such as these on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us via email for further information.
- What if I made a mistake in filling out the initial registration form? Please contact us via email and we will make any necessary corrections.
- The academic program that I am enrolled in is five years. Am I eligible to apply? All students in their third year of study are eligible to apply. Please feel free to include a note of clarification in your essay if your enrollment circumstances are not standard. We are also happy to answer any questions sent to us by email.
- Are there dues associated with membership? Dues are approximately (and possibly below) $75 during the Senior year. We work with any accepted applicant for whom this poses financial difficulty to make membership possible.